Cover letters leave a lasting impression and they are the first form of communication you have with a potential employer. That means they are incredibly important to your job search.
A cover letter gives the reader a taste of what you’re all about, with the intention of having them want to learn more about you through a job interview. Cover letters answer lots of questions, like:
- Why should a company hire you?
- Who are you?
- What do you offer that other candidates don’t?
- How can you help the company?
Consider these questions when you’re designing the perfect cover letter. Then while you’re writing, these tips will definitely increase your chances of getting hired:
- Address a specific person
- Feel free to name drop
- Show enthusiasm
- Use facts, numbers, specifics while describing your accomplishments and strengths
- Focus on how you can help the company, not how the company can help you
- Include details about the company and industry
- Mention you want to be “part of the team”
- Adjust your tone for each position you apply for
- Keep it organized and less than a page
Be sure to spend time crafting a cover letter that will get you the job interview. Once you’re at the job interview, you can woo them with your knowledge, personality, and enthusiasm.
Remember that every time you apply for a job, you’ll need to write a customized cover letter. Write a unique letter for each position and company – recruiters will know if you use a cover letter more than once.
Develop your writing skills and you’ll have too many job interviews to choose from! Good luck!