Do you have experience in the military? There are some awesome open positions out there, and many companies value the skills you’ve acquired during your training and service. A recent article by CNN Money outlined the best jobs available for former members of the military; here are the top ten:
- Intelligence Analyst
- Management Consultant
- Logistics Analyst
- Aviation/Aerospace Program Manager
- Pilot (learn more about becoming a pilot here)
- FBI Agent
- Systems Analyst
- Training and Development Specialist
- Security Manager
- Senior Policy Analyst
As you can see, the best positions for former military members are, in most cases, leadership positions. These jobs are often high-paying, and are available at some of the top companies in the world!
If you’re ex-military and looking for a job, here are a few tips:
- Take advantage of all the job hunting resources provided by the military.
- List your military experience on your resume just as you would a civilian job. Just because it isn’t a traditional “job” doesn’t mean it isn’t relevant.
- During your job interview, remember to explain in easy-to-understand terms what you did in the military. Avoid using abbreviation and other terms that civilians may not know.
- Go back to school! Through military programs, you likely qualify for free or discounted tuition.
The job market is tough for everyone, so even if you have military experience, you might find it difficult to get a position. Luckily, new government initiatives will help members of the military and their families find jobs. You can read more about this plan here.