There’s a lot more to a job that just what you do, where you do it, and how much you get paid. You need to fit in, enjoy the company culture, and of course have perks and benefits that make you smile.
What perks and benefits do you look for when you are applying for a job? Life insurance? Dental? Health coverage? Telecommuting options? Free ski passes? Stock options? Flexible hours? Gym memberships? Continuing education? Surf sessions? In office ping pong tournaments? 401Ks? Unlimited vacation?
Perks and benefits are a big deal. If the job fits your skill set, the company is in the right location, the culture is positive, and the pay is right, then the perks and benefits are kind of like the icing on the cake. You always need to ask about perks and benefits before you accept a job offer.
According to Glassdoor.com, the perks and benefits that matter most to people include:
- Healthcare insurance (e.g., medical, dental): 40%
- Vacation/Paid time off: 37%
- Performance bonus: 35%
- Paid sick days: 32%
- 401(k) plan, retirement plan and/or pension: 31%
Which ones matter the most to you? Or are looking for a job that offers some fresh, creative, and unique perks and benefits? Well Glassdoor just released their list of the Top 20 Employee Benefits & Perks. We always love it when Glassdoor releases a new list and we definitely want to share this one with you!
Glassdoor identified the Top 20 Employee Benefits & Perks based on hundreds of thousands of benefits reviews shared by employees on Glassdoor.com since August 2014. Here are the results:
- Netflix – One paid year of maternity and paternity leave to new parents.
- REI – Two paid days off, called “Yay Days,” a year to enjoy the great outdoors.
- Salesforce – Six paid days of volunteer time. If you use all six, the employee receives a $1,000 grant to donate to a charity of their choice.
- Spotify – Six months of paid parental leave plus one month of flexible work options for parents returning to the office. They also cover costs of egg freezing and fertility assistance.
- World Wildlife Fund – Take advantage of Panda Fridays where employees take Friday off every other week.
- Airbnb – Employees receive an annual stipend of $2,000 to travel and stay in Airbnb listings around the world.
- PwC – Offers $1,200 per year for student loan debt reimbursement.
- Pinterest – Provides four paid months off for parental leave, plus an additional month of part time hours, and two counseling sessions to create a plan to re-enter the workplace.
- Burton – Free season ski passes and “snow days” to go ride after a big snowfall.
- Twilio – Free Kindle plus $30 a month to purchase books.
- Twitter – Three catered meals a day, on-site acupuncture, improv classes.
- Accenture – Covers gender reassignment for their employees.
- Walt Disney Company – Free park admission to Disney parks for employees, plus their friends and family and discounts on hotels and merchandise.
- Facebook – Provides $4,000 in “Baby Cash” to employees with newborns.
- Evernote – Hosts classes through “Evernote Academy” which features classes like macaroon baking.
- Epic Systems Corporation – Paid four week sabbatical to pursue creative talents after 5 years with the company.
- Adobe – Shuts down the entire company for one week in December and one week in the summer.
- Asana – Offers access to executive and life coaching services outside of the company.
- Zillow – Pays for employees who are traveling to ship their breast milk.
- Google – Provides the surviving spouse or partner of a deceased employee 50% of their salary for the next 10 years.
These perks and benefits come directly from Glassdoor.com. Visit Glassdoor to learn more about these companies, their perks and benefits, their overall benefit rating, and so much more.
Would you change companies if you could capitalize on perks and benefits like these? They definitely sweeten the deal when it comes to hunting for jobs. Of course there are other cool companies that offer great perks and benefits out there besides just these. Every company is different so do your research and see what most appeals to you.