If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? The Southern Alps of New Zealand? The bustling streets of New York? The jungles of Thailand? The tech savvy center of San Francisco? The wild coast of Alaska? The world is yours to explore. You can live, work, and play anywhere. You just have to get there.
Traveling isn’t cheap. Whether you want to volunteer, study, work, or travel, it’s always nice to get the best deal on airfare. We ran across a cool post on Business Insider about Scott Keyes. Keyes is an author of books like “How To Fly For Free” and “How To Find Cheap Flights.” He’s got a few travel hacks that will help you travel on the cheap.
The first step is to know where to look for flights. There are popular sites like Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, or Kayak. Most people find one they like and stick with it, but often times there are far better places to search for flights. Here are the best sites for cheap airfare:
- ITA Matrix – Search for airfare by using a matrix that shows you the best prices for an entire month.
- TheFlightDeal.com – This site highlights airfare mistakes so you can capitalize on the best deals.
- SkipLagged.com – Specializes in throwaway tickets.
- AwardWallet.com – Tracks your frequent flier miles and points so you can take advantage of your earnings.
Hopefully these sites will save you a few bucks. Here are some other things to keep in mind when searching for cheap airfare:
- The cheapest days to fly are typically Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday.
- Be sure to check airfares directly with the airline’s official website. You can often avoid fees this way.
- Try to consider flying to a nearby destination instead of your main destination. For example, a flight to Newark may be way cheaper than a flight to New York.
- Don’t be picky about what days you fly. Try to be flexible with your itinerary.
- Sign up for email alerts and social media deals.
- Be ready to book. If you see a deal, jump on it.
- Take advantage of credit cards to earn miles, but please be responsible with your cards!
- Now the visa requirements before you go. Different countries require different visas for tourism or work opportunities.
Now that you’ve got your dream destination picked out and you know how to find cheap airfare, all you need is to find a volunteer or work opportunity there. Check out JobMonkey to find all sorts of global job opportunities.
Do you have any cool websites for cheap airfare that you’d like to share? Stop by Facebook and tell the JobMonkey community. Thanks!