Las Vegas Information
Entertainment Capital of the World
Las Vegas Facts
- Las Vegas is the largest metropolitan city in the United States that was founded in 20th century.
- The Dunes Hotel, demolished in 1993, was the first resort to feature topless showgirls in a show called Minsky’s Follies.
- The Golden Gate Hotel and Casino was the first of its kind when it opened back in 1906.
- Seventeen of the 20 biggest hotels in the U.S. are in Las Vegas.
- Howard Hughes began his infamous stay at the Desert Inn in 1966. By 1968, he was asked to leave, the former management unaware that he had just bought the place!
- More than 41 million people visit Las Vegas each year.
- The Stratosphere is the tallest, freestanding observation tower in the U.S. and the tallest structure west of the Mississippi River.
- City elevation is around 2030 feet (620m) above sea level.
Las Vegas Population and Demographics
Many of the people who reside in “Las Vegas” actually live in neighboring cities or communities. Of the approximately 1.9 million people who call Las Vegas, Nevada and the Valley home, some 603,488 (2013) actually live inside the city limits. Approximately 800,000 people live in the unincorporated areas governed by Clark County, and another 515,000 live in North Las Vegas, Henderson and Boulder City. Las Vegas and most of the surrounding metropolitan area share a police department. A Paiute Indian reservation occupies about one acre of land in the downtown area of Las Vegas.