The world is changing. For some jobs that’s a great thing. Unfortunately, some jobs may go the way of the extinct dodo bird.
You may not even know that your job is jeopardy. Forbes.com posted an article entitled the Top 20 Disappearing Jobs. It takes a peek at what jobs are on the way out. It may be wise to avoid pursuing one of these disappearing jobs.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the following jobs are on the decline. By 2020, the amount of people employed in these positions will drop drastically. This list includes the job title and the percent change of total people employed in this niche:
- Farmers, Ranchers, and Other Agricultural Managers: -8%
- Postal Service Mail Sorters, Carriers, and Clerks: -26.5%
- Sewing Machine Operators: -25.8%
- Switchboard Operators: -23.3%
- Fast Food Cooks: -3.6%
- Agricultural Workers: -2.6%
- Data Entry Keyers: -6.8%
- Word Processors and Typists: -11.5%
- Door-to-Door Sales Workers and News and Street Vendors: – 11.5%
- Food Service Managers: -3.3%
- Electrical and Electronic Equipment Assemblers: -5.7%
- File Clerks: -4.8%
- Prepress Technicians and Workers: -15.9%
- Computer Operators: -8.6%
- Postmasters and Mail Superintendents: -27.8%
- Office Machine Operators: -9.7%
- Pressers, Textile, Garment, and Related Materials: -11.8%
- Florists: -9.3%
- Petroleum Pump System Operators, Refinery Operators, and Gaugers: -14%
- Loan Interviewers and Clerks: -3.1%
Of course all of these numbers are predictions at this point, but lots of jobs are being taken over by technology. It’s wise to plan for the future. Choose the right career path to set yourself up for success down the road. Don’t end up in one of these disappearing jobs or you might find yourself unemployed in the future.
If you currently have one of these disappearing jobs, it may be time to make a career switch. Now may be the perfect time to search for your dream job.