What were you doing 10 years ago? In the last decade our world has changed drastically. Technology now plays a bigger role in how we live our lives than ever before. We have access to more information than we will ever need – even while we're on the move. As time moves on, things change. It's our responsibility to keep up with our changing world so that we can make the most of it.
As a job seeker you need to stay up-to-date on modern job search techniques if you want to find a job. There's no way around it. If you aren't on top of the job search or you're stuck in the past, you're going to get left in the dust. Today's job market is fiercely competitive and every job seeker needs things working in their favor to land the job they want.
If you're behind the times, here are some modern job search techniques that work:
- Go Digital – Resumes, cover letters, and job applications are all online. You need to have digital copies of your documents, certifications, and other important information. It's very rare that you'll apply for any job with a hard copy. Everything is sent digitally.
- Develop An Online Presence – An online presence is a huge advantage for every job seeker. Recruiters and hiring managers will Google you. They want to learn as much about you as possible. Create a blog or a website that highlights your resume, accomplishments, portfolio, or ideas. Ensure that you have a professional and personal brand that's easy to find.
- Get Social – Social media is an amazing way to learn about brands, interact with companies, and connect with other professionals. Be active on multiple social channels, including LinkedIn. Social media is a great place to learn about a company's culture, job openings, and brand.
- Be Online – A smartphone is a job seeker's best friend. It provides constant access to the Internet. With the power of the Internet you can search for jobs, research companies, reply to emails, network with professionals, and always be responsive. Without this job search tool, you'll be way behind the competition.
- Network More – While technology has changed the way the world operates, it's still mandatory to get out and log some face time. Get to know people. Build your professional network because who you know is often how you land the best jobs.
- Understand How Technology Works – Develop a basic understanding of how technology works. Start to think about using specific keywords in your resumes and cover letters to make sure your resume gets past the ATS systems. Learn how to research companies and track down contacts or email addresses. Tap into job boards to find the latest job listings. Use email to send follow ups. It's amazing what you can do.
- Stand Out – It's a competitive job market. Lots of people are competing for every single job opening. You have to make yourself stand out from the crowd in a positive way. Take advantage of technology to be the job seeker that employers want to hire.
While it may seem like the job search is tougher than ever, it's actually much easier. Constantly evolving technology is a totally game changer. To truly harness the power of technology, you need to fully embrace it.
Today's modern job search provides easy and instant access to job listings in every industry located anywhere in the world. There are thousands of job listings out there right now. All you have to do is the find the perfect one for you. It takes time and dedication, but technology opens the doors to a whole new world of possibilities.
The one secret to having a successful modern job search is to not only apply these modern job search techniques, but to also have a solid plan. By focusing on specific goals, jobs, and locations it will make the job search simple. Are you ready to apply these modern job search techniques? They work.