Would you rather hang out with an incredibly boring person or an absolutely intriguing, interesting person? Interesting people are awesome. Could you be more interesting?
If you’re in the middle of the job search, it’s important to be interesting. Being interesting is a fantastic trait to have. It will help you network, impress interviewers, make friends, carry a conversation, be memorable, and so much more.
Who’s the most interesting person that you know? What makes that person interesting? Is it their knowledge? Travel? Wisdom? Stories? Personality? There are lots of ways that someone can be interesting, but the real questions is what makes YOU the most interesting applicant?
It’s a great question (maybe one you’d get asked in a job interview). How would you answer? What makes you unique and exciting? Why should I learn more about you?
If you don’t have a good answer for these simple questions, you need one. Here are a few simple ideas straight from Forbes.com that will make you the most interesting candidate:
- Go Exploring – Explore places, things, ideas, and opinions. The more you see and do, the easier it is to create conversation.
- Share What You Discover – Not everyone gets to experience the same things that you do, so let them know what you’ve explored.
- Do Something. Anything. – The more you do, the more you can share. It doesn’t matter what you do, but do something worthwhile.
- Embrace Your Innate Weirdness – Let your uniqueness shine. It’s what makes you, you.
- Have A Cause – Find something you believe in and stand behind it.
- Minimize The Swagger – Be an expert, but don’t let everyone know about it.
- Give It A Shot – Try something new. It will expand your horizons.
- Hop Off The Bandwagon – Do what makes you happy, even if you’re the only one doing it.
- Grow A Pair – Be brave and do things that make you a bit nervous.
- Ignore The Scolds – Don’t be boring and resent your lack of adventures. Get after it, even if you have to deal with a few scoldings.
This list came from a Forbes.com article, entitled “How To Be More Interesting In 10 Simple Steps“. It lays out ten easy steps to follow that will help you become the most interesting applicant. When you earn that title, there is a pretty good chance that you will get hired.
If you’re ready, go out and make yourself more interesting. Then apply for jobs.