How’s the job search going? Is it harder than you thought to find a job? The job market is tough and if you don’t treat your job search like a full time job, you’re going to have a very tough time finding a job.
Let’s take a quick look at EreMedia’s collection of job search stats. These stats highlight the challenges that job seekers face during their job hunt. The numbers are eye-opening.
- 250 resumes are received for each corporate job opening
- The first resume is received with 200 seconds of the job being posted
- Of 1000 individuals who see a job post, only 1 will get a job offer
- Recruiters only look at your resume for 6 seconds
- Only 17% of recruiters read cover letters
- 61% of recruiters dismiss a resume because of a single typo
- 76% of recruiters reject a candidate for using an unprofessional email address
- 50% of job applicants apply for jobs they are unqualified for
Now let those numbers sink in for a minute. It doesn’t take much for your job search to miss it’s mark. Even if your doing almost everything right, you still might not hit the bullseye in the job search. Things really do have to align almost perfectly if you want to find the perfect job for you.
Take a close and critical look at your job searching self. Are there any specific reasons why you can’t find a job? Here are some common issues that will hurt your job search:
- Poor Interview Etiquette
- Waiting For The Perfect Job
- Not Following Directions
- Negative Attitude
- No Network
- Bad First Impression
- Too Much Competition
- Not Treating The Job Search Like A Job
- Dressed Inappropriately
- Resume and/or CV Is Lacking
- Trash Talking Former Employers
- Didn’t Do Your Research
- Body Langauge Mistakes
- Lack Of Online Presence
- Asking For Too Big A Paycheck
- Can’t Sell Yourself
- Social Media Taboos
- Lack Of Enthusiasm
- No Job Goals
These are just a few of the reasons why you can’t find a job. It’s your responsibility to nail every single one of these points during your job search. Mess up one and you have to go back to the drawing board and start the job search over from scratch. If any of these issues plague your job search, head over to the JobMonkey Blog to get all sorts of free job search advice. It’s only a click away and it could be a total game changer in your job search.
Once your job search is perfect, it’s time to search and apply for jobs. There are thousands of cool job listings posted on the JobMonkey JobCenter this very moment. Stop by and find the perfect job for you. Best of luck!