Are you happy with your life? Recently we asked a question on Facebook to see if our fans are happy living where they are living and doing what they are doing. The overwhelming response was “NO”. If you’re not happy, maybe it’s time to look for a new job, employer, or location. Maybe you should consider relocating to ensure that you enjoy life.
Relocating is a daunting task. The long distance job search is not a fun process. The act of moving, finding and starting a new job, and leaving a place you are familiar with is a stressful and complicated journey, but for many it is well worth it.
It’s important to consider your personal situation when you are thinking about relocating. Ask yourself the question, why do you want to move to a different city, state, or country? It’s a wise decision if you:
- Find a job with the right company
- Are offered a significantly higher salary
- Want to be near family or significant others
- Need a job after graduation
- Desire a better work-life balance
- Seek to be near your certain geography or lifestyles – beaches, mountains, city life, country life
- Looking for a seasonal or cool job adventure
Consider why you want to move, but also consider the challenges. You will have to build a new network. It’s expensive to relocate. You don’t know the area. Housing can be hard to find. You’ll need the funds to make the move. The job search is challenging. Don’t be discouraged. Relocating is totally doable if you follow these relocating tips:
- Don’t move if you don’t have a job.
- Use social media (Facebook, LinkedIn, etc) to help you build a network
- Target your job search to a specific area or niche
- Visit the place first to make sure it is somewhere where you really want to work and live
- Research the area – Once good relocation resource is City Data
- Be prepared for both Skype or phone interviews
- Save money for the move. Be sure to ask your new employer if they offer relocation assistance
- Don’t ignore your family’s (and pet’s) needs and desires
- Be honest about your location and moving timeframe with your new employer
- Calculate your wage and the cost of living at your job and destination
Relocating and long distance job searches are common amongst cool and seasonal jobs. Working in cool places and traveling is an adventure and traveling across the country or around the globe is part of the fun. Whether you want a change of pace, a chance to start fresh, a new exciting geography, or you seek a seasonal adventure, then highly consider relocating for work. It may be the best thing you’ll ever do.
It’s up to you to weigh your options. Is relocating and starting over in a new place really the right thing for you to do? Are you ready to take on the long distance job search and relocate? If so, be sure to head over to the JobMonkey Job Board to start your long distance job search.