It’s amazing how many people want to be models. People are always asking us how to break into the field of modeling. Making a living in the spotlight is a demanding, competitive job. If you think you have what it takes, you should pursue it, but it’s far from easy.
Models are people who use their image to promote, sell, display, or raise awareness for specific things. To become a model it takes a specific look and a little bit of luck to be discovered.
Here are a few tips to help you break into the elusive field of modeling:
- Determine The Modeling Niche You Want To Pursue – Both males and females can become models, but you still have to select the niche you want to target. Are you interested in fashion, fitness, hair, body part, bikini, plus-size, or promotional? Pick your niche early and stick with it.
- Create Your Web Presence – A web presence is a mandatory part of the modeling resume. Be active on social media, create a following, build a professional website that hosts your modeling portfolio. Pair up with an aspiring modeling photographer who will take millions of photos of you in action. Promote yourself. Once your social media presence is rocking and rolling, seek out an agent.
- Find An Agency – Ideally a modeling scout will find you, but if they don’t stop by and introduce yourself to a modeling agent in your local area. Modeling agents want and need fresh, natural faces. They are key to helping you find work. They have the contacts and the exposure to get your name and image out to the world.
- Search For Work – Stay focused and determined to get paying work. Attend auditions, casting calls, and photo shoots. Get ready to deal with some rejection. Don’t take it personally, clients are usually looking for very specific things. Eventually you will pick up a paying gig. You’ll most likely be featured in a local clothing store’s advertisement before you’re on the cover of Maxim. Start small and climb the modeling ladder.
- Move – While you might find success as a model in small mid-western towns, you’ll never hit the big leagues until you move to a modeling mecca. Places like New York, Paris, Los Angeles, or Milan are hotspots for models.
It’s a challenging path to the top of the modeling world, but with a bit of determination and a lot luck you can make it. You most likely won’t find a job listing for “model” on any job board, but create a Job Alert for modeling jobs and we’ll let you know if one hits the job board.
If you make it as a model, you might even see yourself featured on the cover of a magazine or in an nationwide advertising campaign. It’s up to you to make it happen. Good luck!