With summer right around the corner, I wanted to share some cool facts & figures about working at summer camps.
- Did you know that camp enrollment — both sleep-away and day camps — has increased approximately 10% a year over the last decade? More campers mean more jobs for camp counselors!
- Did you know that 2 out of 3 camp directors are women?
- Did you know that 44% of camp directors are under the age of 35. Less than 10% are over the age of 53?
- Did you know that 3 out of 4 camp directors work full-time, year-round? The other 25% are full-time for the summer, but only part-time during the rest of the year?
- Did you know that 4 out 10 camps today have been around since before 1960?
- Did you know that half of all camp staff return to work at the same summer camp at least two years in a row and typically receive a 4% pay raise?
- Did you know that the average salary of a camp director is $40,000 per year, plus benefits?
- Did you know that head counselors earn an average of $310/week, while camp counselors make $230/week?
- Did you know that camp nurses earn an average salary of $430/week, while maintenance workers earn $300/week?
Are you planning to work at a summer camp this summer?