Do you hate your job? Do you wish you could turn the job that you hate into a job that you love? It’s totally possible if you know what you are doing.
Don’t quit your job just yet. Quitting too soon can come back to haunt you later, plus you need to be both financially and professionally responsible. Quitting can negatively affect your references, resume, and other job search factors in the future. So take a deep breath and get ready to try to make a change first.
To turn the job that you hate into a job that you love, you need to follow these steps:
- Pinpoint Exactly What You Hate About The Job – Take a step back and try to determine what it is that you hate. Are you bored? Is your boss evil? Are your co-workers mean? Do you hate the hours? Is the commute killing you? Once you figure out what you hate, you can try to deal with it directly.
- Determine What You Like About Your Job – At some point there was a reason why you chose this job. What do you love about it? Is it the industry? The company? The ability to telecommute? Figure this out and focus your energy here to renew your passion.
- Explore What Skills You Can Develop – Think about what the job can give you in the long term and the short term. Can you spend six more months and learn to be an excellent coder or build your dream resume? Will you develop skills that will make you more employable next go around?
- Get To Know People – Make the effort to get to know your team. When you can make a personal connection with the people you work with it, it can make a world of difference in how you perceive things and how you feel on a daily basis.
- Seek Out Training – Often we hate our jobs because we feel we are not up to speed. Seek out training that will help you do your job to the best of your abilities.
- Create Change – It is possible to make changes. Depending on what you hate, it may be as simple as making a request or bringing your own lunch to work. Explore what it would take to change the things that you hate. It might not be as hard as you think.
- Open Up The Communication Channels – Schedule a sit down with your boss to explain what’s going on. Open and honest communication can often solve problems that may seem impossible to overcome. There is a reason why your boss hired you and they want you to stick around. They are going to try to make this work out for everyone.
- Establish A Time Frame And Make A Plan – Create a plan for how long you are going to stick around – A month? A year? Stick to your plan. If things haven’t changed it might be time to move on to a new job or even a new career. Do everything you can to make it work first though.
- Should You Stay Or Should You Go? – When you hit the final deadline, it’s time to decide if you should stay or should you go. If you now love your job, stick around. If you’re still having issues that make you frown all day and lose sleep at night, it’s time to quit. But, it’s your decision.
Ultimately, we all just want to be happy. Do your best to turn the job that you hate into a job that you love. If you can successfully pull this move off, it will be well worth the effort. If you can’t, visit JobMonkey.com to learn about what other types of opportunities exist in this big and exciting world. Or head over to the JobMonkey JobCenter to search and apply for your next job
Best of luck.