Do you love academic life? Are you keen to pursue a life of learning in a subject that fascinates you? Why don’t you become a college professor?
A career as a college professor isn’t for everyone. It requires a true passion for learning and an expert level knowledge base to even be considered for a college professor job. Do you have what it takes to land a job in this cool niche?
Thinking about quitting your job and making a change? Here are 10 reasons to become a college professor:
- Shape Future Generations – Teachers and professors influence students on a daily basis. By sharing their knowledge they make a difference and help guide the next generation into their future careers.
- Pursue Your Passion – College professors teach and research a wide variety of topics – humanities, science, english, weather, engineering, advertising, business, etc. Whatever interests you there is a college professor job that focuses on that.
- Job Security – Education is important. There is always a demand for highly qualified passionate university professors at higher education institutes around the world.
- Not Your Typical 9-To-5 Job – Being a college professor is not the typical job. It’s a mix of office hours, research, field time, lectures, and meetings. Many professors even get to take the summer off.
- Expert In Your Field – To become a college professor, you must be an expert in your niche. This usually requires years of higher education and the completion of a Masters or Doctorate degree in your field. Then you are respected source of information.
- Enjoyable Work Environment – There’s something lively about working on a university campus. It provides an exciting and thought-provoking atmosphere filled with inquisitive minds and eager students.
- Life Long Learning – As a college professor, you have to stay on top of your game. You must be aware of changes in your field and industry – in fact you might even be paving the way of the future through your research.
- Sabbaticals Are Acceptable – Sabbaticals are periods of paid leave for a professor to study, travel, and explore. Kind of like a gap year for professionals.
- Rewarding Job – A job as a college professor is a respectable and honorable way to make a living. But the true reward comes from watching students learn, develop, and apply the skills that you teach them.
- Location – There are thousands of employers looking to hire college professors. Start your job search at community colleges, Ivy League schools, or universities around the world. As a college professor who is an expert in your field, you will be in demand.
Now being a university professor isn’t all fun and games. In fact, it can be quite stressful – as most jobs can be. Your time is spent as a healthy mix of teaching and doing research. Grading papers, teaching lectures, doing research, creating lessons, and working with students and academic professionals is all part of the job.
So what do you think? Do you have what it takes to become a college professor? It’s an awesome job if it interests you.