Are you a healthy person? Do you take the necessary precautions to stay fit, avoid risks, and stay in prime condition? If so you may want to avoid pursuing a job that is considered to be unhealthy.
Do you consider your job to be unhealthy? We stumbled upon a cool article by Business Insider about the most unhealthy jobs in America. Based on quantifiable data from the Occupational Information Network of the US Department of Labor, they compiled a list of the most unhealthy jobs.
The data ranks six health risks on a scale of 0 to 100 then averages it to determine the unhealthiest jobs. The health risks include:
- Exposure To Contaminants
- Exposure To Disease and Infection
- Exposure To Hazardous Conditions
- Exposure To Radiation
- Risk Of Minor Burns, Cuts, Bites, and Stings
- Time Spent Sitting
Can you think of a few unhealthy jobs based on this criteria? Does your job expose you to any of these things? They are all things you’ll want to avoid! Let’s take a look at which jobs were ranked as the top unhealthy jobs in the US:
15. Refuse and Recyclable Material Collectors – Score: 55.0
14. Nuclear Equipment Operation Technicians – Score: 55.2
13. Medical, Clinical, and Cardiovascular Technologists and Technicians – Score: 55.3
12. Airplane Pilots, Copilots, and Flight Engineers – Score: 55.7
11. Oil and Gas Derrick Operators – Score: 56.0
10. Surgical Technologists – Score: 57.3
9. Stationary Engineers and Boiler Operators – Score: 57.7
8. Water and Wastewater Treatment Plant and System Operators – Score: 58.2
7. Immigration and Customs Inspectors – Score: 59.3
6. Podiatrists – Score: 60.2
5. Veterinarians and Veterinary Assistants/Technologists – Score: 60.3
4. Anesthesiologists, Nurse Anesthetists, and Anesthesiologists Assistants – Score: 61.8
3. Flight Attendants – Score: 62.3
2. Dentists and Dental Hygienists/Assistants and Dental Lab Technicians – Score: 62.9
1. Histotechnologists and Histologic Technicians – Score: 63.8
Learn more about how these jobs rank and what the top 3 health risks are for each career on Business Insider. It’s eye-opening information – and potentially a great conversation starter!
It’s pretty cool to compare this list to our deadliest jobs list too. If you have one of these jobs, please be careful! Make sure to take any and all precautions to ensure your personal health and safety.
If you’re looking to find a job – healthy or unhealthy – head over to the JobMonkey Job Board to start your job search.