Bob Marley once said, “Love the life you live. Live the life you love.” These wise words are something that every job seeker needs to consider before they commit to a job or a career. If you want to be happy, you need to pursue your dreams and find your passion.
While this may sound like great advice, it’s easier said that done. Everyone is passionate about something – writing, photography, traveling, coin collecting, skiing. The list is endless. One of life’s great questions is how to turn your passion into your profession.
If this was an easy process, everyone would do it. It’s going to take commitment, sacrifice, and determination. Turning your passion into your profession may take years to accomplish. It may require university degrees, entrepreneurial efforts, skill development, or countless other things . Following your dreams will push your comfort zone, but you really can find a job that pays you to do what you love if truly want it.
Below you’ll find general steps that you can follow to turn your passion into your profession:
- Start – It’s easy to daydream, but if you want this to be your reality you need to do something. Figure out what you are truly passionate about. Use your free time to teach yourself the skills you’ll need to pursue this new endeavor. There’s a good chance that this process will start as a side gig.
- Explore Your Options – The biggest puzzle piece is determining how to make money doing what you love. You have to find where your passion overlaps with what people demand. For example if you love food, you might be a chef. If you love watching movies, you could become a movie critic. If you love surfing, you work as a surfing instructor. Depending on what you love to do, you may have to get a bit creative. Do your research and see what you can come up with.
- Invest Time – This process isn’t going to happen overnight. Use your free time to learn the ins and outs of your future career. Plan to start as a side hobby and slowly turn it into a money making job. Take the time to become qualified and to become an expert.
- Network – Tell your network about your new job. Meet influencers. Connect with professionals. Build your personal brand and your social presence. Let people know who you are and what you’re doing.
- Learn From Your Mistakes – Every successful person has failed at first. Learn from your mistakes and you will thrive.
To successfully pursue a job doing what you love, you need to be driven and motivated. You’ll have to work hard and earn the job that you love. It’s imperative that you realize this now. There’s no easy road to success when you’re pursuing your passion.
When you turn your passion into your profession, you’ll be able to make a living doing what you enjoy doing. You’ll finally be able to escape the boring old office and focus your energy toward something that makes you smile. And work won’t really feel like “work” anymore. It’ll be fun.
What are you waiting for? Right now is the time to turn your passion into your profession. If you don’t take the leap of faith now, you may never do it.