Man domesticated dogs 10,000 to 15,000 years ago. Ever since then, dogs have played a major role in their owner’s lives. Dogs provide physical, emotional, and social benefits that can’t be found anywhere else. But dogs do more than that. They also can teach us about life and our careers.
Man’s best friend is an excellent teacher. Pay attention and see what lessons you can learn from your dog. Here are some things we’ve learned from our furry friends:
- Loyalty – Dogs are loyal to their owners at all times. Loyalty in the workplace pays off. Being loyal to your company and co-workers means they will be loyal to you in terms of favors, pay, friendship, and more.
- Shake Things Off – When a dog goes for a swim, he shakes the annoying excess water off and goes on with his day. Do the same when things bug or annoy you. Shake them off and continue on like it never happened.
- Reliability – Dogs are always reliable friends. When you’re reliable, people are more likely to trust you and provide you with more responsibility.
- Determination – If you’ve ever watched a dog trying to find a toy under a couch or gnawing on a bone, you’ve seen how determined they can be. Take that same determination and apply it to your job search or career.
- Live In The Moment – Dogs don’t worry about yesterday or tomorrow. They live in the now. You should too. Embrace life.
- Greet People With A Smile – Whenever you see your dog after a brief hiatus, your dog turns into a wagging, licking machine. Don’t wag and lick people, but do try to smile at people every time you meet them.
- Protect What Is Yours – Dogs are generally protective over their things and places. There’s no need to snarl and growl at the unknown, but establish what is yours and work to protect it. That applies to your job, your work, your websites, and your ideas.
- Always Network – Take your pup to the dog park and your dog will meet every single dog there. Sometimes more than once. Apply the same go-getter attitude when you’re out meeting people and networking. Remember – life is all about who you know.
- Forgive and Forget – Dogs never hold a grudge. If you punish them for eating your favorite shoes, they’ll be over it tomorrow. Plus they’ve learned their lesson (usually). If you find yourself angry for long periods of time, get over it. Just like your dog would.
- Be Yourself – No matter where you are or what you’re doing, dogs always act like themselves. Don’t worry about what other people think of you, be yourself.
- Follow Your Passion – Dogs know what they love – frisbee, swimming, walks, fetch. They could do it over and over again for the rest of their lives. Follow your passion and you’ll love every minute of your life too.
- Exercise More – A tired dog is a good dog. Dogs always stretch and they absolutely love walks. Go outside and exercise with your dog and without them. The benefits of the great outdoors is outstanding!
- Play Is Good – Most dogs think that life is a big game. They don’t take anything too seriously and you shouldn’t either. Make time to play. You’ll be a happier person and you’ll avoid burnout.
- Take Naps – What does a dog do when she’s tired? She takes a nap. Instead of pushing through life fueled by coffee and a few hours of sleep, take naps when you need them. You’ll feel refreshed, less grumpy, and more productive with more naps in your life.
- Enjoy Life – Dogs are generally happy creatures. Happiness is important. Take time to enjoy your life because you only live once.
Try to be more like your dog. You’ll be more successful in work, life, and play. It’s amazing what lessons you can learn from your dog.
If you love your dog, find a job with one of these dog friendly employers. Your dog will love it and so will you.