Think about all of the places that the US federal government employs people – Park rangers in Alaska’s Denali National Park, TSA agents at JFK Airport in NY, postal workers in Dallas, Texas, museum curators at the Smithsonian Institute in Washington DC, customs agent on the California/Mexico border, engineers working in Yellowstone National Park, and the list goes on and on. There are government employees working everywhere!
According to the US Census Bureau’s 2012 report titled Federal Government Civilian Employment and Payroll Data, 2,792,736 people worked in the United States’ Federal Government. In the month of March 2012, those full time civilian employees made $16,866,805,187. That number has grown slightly since 2012.
Based on those numbers, that’s an average salary of $6,039 for the month of March! Not too shabby. Bear in mind that that salary includes some high paying jobs like the President so it’s a little skewed. We have great job post about the top paying government jobs.
The US Federal Government is a major employer of its citizens. Where do you think all of these people work? If you’re a US citizen, maybe you can find a job with one of these us federal government organizations:
- Bureau of Land Management
- US Census Bureau
- Coast Guard
- US Customs and Border Protection
- US Department of Justice
- US Environmental Protection Agency
- Central Intelligence Agency
- Federal Bureau of Investigations
- US Food and Drug Administration
- Federal Aviation Administration
- Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Federal Maritime Commission
- US Fish and Wildlife Service
- USDA Forest Service
- US Immigrations an Customs Enforcement
- Internal Revenue Service
- National Aeronautics & Space Administration
- National Park Service
- National Security Agency
- National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration
- US Postal Service
- Smithsonian Institute
- Transportation Security Administration
The federal government is a fantastic employer. They offer job stability, excellent benefits, lots of advancement opportunities, a huge variety of job titles in all sorts of locations, great training, and more.
Everyone should at least consider a job working for the US Government. It’s a cool employer with lots of unique job opportunities in some incredible places. No matter what your interests, chances are good that you can find a job that interests you. It’s likely that the US Government is hiring near where you currently live.