According to Glassdoor, nearly 90% of job seekers plan to use their mobile devices for job searching. This is up 7% from last year. It’s predicted that mobile job searching will increase in popularity in the future.
Are you part of this growing group of savvy job seekers? Do you use your mobile device as part of your job search? Mobile devices are amazing tools. They are calculators, alarm clocks, phones, contact lists, web browsers, and now job searching machines.
Here are a few reasons why people are going to their smart phones and tablets for the mobile job search:
- Can Apply To Job Listings Faster
- Save Job Listings To Apply Later
- Research – Salary Information, Company News, Etc.
- Send Files
- Write Emails
- Mobile Devices Are Always Accessible
- Apps Make It Quick and Easy To Find Info
In 2013, over 1 billion job searches were made on mobile devices each month, according to TalentHQ.com. One hot company, UPS, made over 10,000 hires from mobile applications. Even though job seekers are going mobile, 80% of companies don’t have mobile optimized career pages and 82% don’t use mobile optimized ads. Only 26 Fortune 500 companies are currently mobile optimized for the job application process. Read more statistics about the mobile job search on Simply Hired.
What does this mean for you, the job seeker? It means that mobile job searching is the future. Here are a few tips to take advantage of the mobile job search:
- Be Detail Oriented – Smaller screens can result in mistakes, errors, and oversights. One small issue can ruin your chances of getting hired.
- Take Your Time – It’s still important to do your research before you apply for a job.
- Upload And Update Your Resume – You will need easy access to customized resumes if you choose to apply. Save it on your device or upload it to a job search site like the Resume Manager on JobMonkeyJobs
It’s important to remember that employers haven’t caught up to the curve. This means that you still need actively search for jobs from your PC to ensure that you get the best information possible – on a screen that is optimized for your search.
Technology is changing the way we do everything – including searching for jobs. As this new trend become mainstream, make sure you’re ready to be competitive in the job search. Will you find your next job from your mobile device?