Are you employable? What makes a recruiter want to hire you? Is it your college degree? Your years of experience? Your good looks? Your awesome portfolio? Your winning personality? Your astounding references? Or is it the skills you bring to the table? Do you know what skills you need to get hired?
There are certain skills that an employer will definitely notice. Do you have the skills you need to get hired? Here are some of the skills recruiter’s love to see:
- Be A Team Player – No matter what job or industry you pursue, you need to play nicely with others. The ability to work in a team is essential for every job. If you don’t like other people, figure out why and change it.
- Adaptability – Things change. Get ready to adapt to whatever comes your way.
- Strong Social Skills – Being social is a great asset for your company, but also for you. Being personable and likable is a character trait that everyone wishes they had. It will help you build a network, work well with others, and be respected. The ability to communicate will be valuable throughout your life.
- Basic Computer Knowledge – Even if you avoid technology like the plague, it’s important to have basic skills. Emails, word processing programs, Google searches, excel spreadsheets, and social media are vital skills in our technology entrenched society.
- Confidence – Be confident in everything you do. Confidence demands respect. It’s also important to know your limits.
- Numbers – Even if you aren’t a math whiz, you need a solid grasp on numbers. Nearly every job requires basic statistics, accounting, and general number skills.
- Take Responsibility – No one is going to hold your hand through life. You have to step up to the plate and take responsibility for yourself. This requires motivational and organizational skills. It’s up to you ask questions, seek answers, learn, and improve. Nothing will get you ahead faster than being responsible.
- Time Management – Time is money. If you can finish your work quickly, efficiently, and professionally, you’ll save your company money, have a happy boss, and get more done. Sounds like a good combo, right?
- Listen – If you can hear what others have to say, you’ll understand what needs to be done.
That’s 9 skills you need to get hired. Employers want to hire and promote people that can do these things. Can you? You can if you put your mind to it. It’s not as hard as you might thing. These skills will definitely help you get ahead in life. Try to gain these skills and see where your job search takes you.