Are you thinking about going back to school, but you’re still on the fence? Here are some facts & figures that may just get you motivated to pursue a degree — especially one online.
- A new study has shown that the average lifetime earnings for 2-year degree holder is $1.6 million — $400,000 more than high school graduates alone are earning.
- 1 in 5 American students took at least one online class in 2008. That 4 million students doing some coursework at a “distance”.
- 10% of American post-secondary students (400,000) are enrolled in exclusively Internet-based learning. Distance learning is up across the board — for example, one Colorado-based e-school saw a 29% jump in enrollment.
- 2 our of 3 post-secondary institutions in the United States were offering some type of distance education courses — whether fully online or a blending online/brick-and-mortar option
- Remember, accreditation is key, especially when it comes to an online degree. No diploma mills! Learn more about accreditation from About.com’s Guide to Distance Learning, Jamie Littlefield.
To start checking out online degree programs that might work for you, read our section on distance learning.