How’s your job search going? Be honest. Are you running an effective, efficient, winning job search? If you want to land a job, this is exactly what you need to be doing.
In today’s economy, the job search is more competitive than ever. You need to have job search strategies that put you ahead of the competition.
What’s your current job search strategy? More often than not, people send a generic resume and boring cover letter to every job listing that remotely interests them. There is no drive. No passion for the job. No direction. Most people have sloppy job search strategies and rely totally on luck to get hired. This is not the way to do it.
Instead you should capitalize on these ten job search strategies:
- Know Who You Are And What You Can Do – If you know your strengths and weaknesses it can quickly help you eliminate jobs from the job search. You can also focus in on jobs that highlight your strengths.
- Determine What You Want – It’s important to make a decision about what you want to do. Think about locations, jobs, timeframe, salary, benefits, and everything else. Know what you are ultimately searching for.
- Develop Your Skills – Determine what skills you need to get the job you want. Do you need to go to school? Learn a trade? Earn a certification? Find an online degree?
- Customize Your Resume And Cover Letter – Every single job application needs a customized resume and cover letter. Never send the same resume and cover letter to more than one job.
- Manage Your Time – Dedicate your time to the job search. Manage your time to include time for networking, research, and writing resumes. Remember, searching for a job is a full time job – it just doesn’t pay.
- Be Proactive – If you sit back and wait for the job to come to you, it will never happen. Go out and get it!
- Network Extensively – We are strong believers that life is all about who you know. Get out there and meet people. It’s not a bad idea to spend more time networking that applying.
- Be Flexible – In the job search, sometimes you have to work odd jobs or weird hours to get by. Be willing to do this until your dream job comes along.
- Market Yourself – Let the world know who you are. Create a web presence. Write a blog. Hand out business cards. Rent a billboard. Be active in an organization. Get noticed.
- Prepare For The Unexpected – Prepare yourself mentally, physically, and financially to deal with whatever comes next.
If you apply these 10 job search strategies to your job search, your bound to land a job sooner than later. Stay focused and dedicate yourself to fulfilling a winning job search. Discover your own, personal job search strategies and put them to good use.