Job searching? It’s a time consuming process that needs to be treated like a full time job. If your job search seems like it’s taking forever, you need to create a job search to-do list to help you stay focused and find a job.
To help you find a job quicker, we’ve created a way to jump start your job search in just one week. It’s a simple plan that will help you stay focused and motivated by encouraging you to accomplish small tasks each day.
Jump start your job search in just one week with this simple, daily plan:
Sunday: Establish Your Goals And Make A Plan
- It’s time to get organized. Now is the time to determine what you want do. What type of job are you looking for? Where do you want to work? What’s your dream job? Do your research. By the end of the day, you need to know what type of job you want to apply for.
Monday: Research Companies And Explore Job Listings
- Spend your time on the JobMonkey JobCenter, in the newspaper, and on company websites. Learn about different employers and find out who’s hiring. Circle the job listings that you want to apply for.
Tuesday: Craft Your Resume and Reach Out To Your Network
- When you know which jobs you want to apply for, it’s time to customize your resume. Put in the effort to create a killer resume that will get you hired.
- Reach out to your network. Do you know anyone that works at the companies where you will apply? Are your references ready to go? Can your contacts help you in any way?
Wednesday: Build Your Online Presence and Write Your Cover Letter
- We all know how important a web presence is in the job search. Edit your social media, fine tune your LinkedIn, tweak your portfolio (if necessary), and update your website/blog.
- Write the cover letter. Customize the cover letter and don’t just rehash your resume.
Thursday: Network and Create Your Sales Pitch
- Reconnect with your network. Send emails, make phone calls, and grab coffee with the contacts you reached out to earlier in the week. Make a real effort with these individuals as they may be the best chance you have of landing your dream job.
- Spend the time to get your 30-second resume ready to go. Dial in what you need to say to sell yourself. Practice saying it so that it is flawless.
Friday: Apply For Jobs
- It’s time to apply jobs. Read the directions and do exactly as the application says to do. Your resume is dialed, your cover letter is ready, your web presence is good to go. All you have to do is follow the directions and apply for the jobs. Click submit and enjoy your Friday night.
Saturday: Prepare For The Interview and Choose Your Outfit
- Practice sample interview questions. Get ready for any interview curveballs. Prep your answers so you are ready for anything that a recruiter could ask you.
- Pick out your outfit for the job interview. Dress for the role because first impressions can make or break your chances of getting hired.
Now you have a plan on how to jump start your job search. Feel free to tweak this plan as necessary. Nothing here is set in stone – but as a job seeker you need to do all of these things at some point. Establish your routine and you’ll be one step closer to landing a job.
Use this list as your to-do list. Complete every single task, every single week until you have a job. The key is to accomplish something daily. When you are always working toward something, you will eventually get results.
Good luck in your job search!