Do you enjoy working? Would you consider yourself a hard worker? Did you ever consider that working too hard is bad for your career?
Ever since you were little you were told that working hard would propel you to success. We’re here to tell you differently. Forget what you think you know and stop working so hard.
We found an enlightening article from LifeHack called Why Working Too Hard Could Be Bad For Your Career that we wanted to share with our JobMonkey fans. They highlight 6 reasons why you need to stop working so hard. Here they are:
- Working too hard will damage your health – You only have so much energy. If you use it all up at the office, you ‘ll have no time to maintain your personal, physical, and mental well being. The magic formula includes diet, sleep, and exercise. Are you getting enough of those?
- Working too hard will damage your creativity – You can only be creative if you get out and experience life. See and do new things that inspire you. If you are trapped and tired, it’s hard to think outside of the box.
- Working too hard indicates you are not working smart – Working smart means to be motivated and not being drained. Optimize your performance by doing only what you excel at. Let someone else do the other things.
- Working too hard indicates that you can’t delegate – Almost everybody works in some sort of team. Delegate work to your co-workers to balance out the work load. Do you need a few team work tips?
- Working too hard indicates that you can’t prioritize – Little tasks take lots of time. When you sit down to work, focus on the big project. Make a list and a schedule and stick to it.
- Working too hard indicates you are overwhelmed by your job – If it takes you more time than others to do the same amount of work, it may make your boss think you are overwhelmed by your job. That’s not good for your career.
You can read more about each reason on LifeHack’s original post.
We also want to add that working too hard means that you won’t have time to do the things you enjoy. If you feel like you’re working too hard, cut back a little bit. Savor life and enjoy what it has to offer.
A simple change can make you appreciate everything more. It may even lead you to consider a career change…