Social media is literally everywhere. It allows us to create and share content, interact with people from around the globe, and develop an engaging web presence. Did we mention that you can also find a job using social media? It’s true. Social media can be a job seeker’s best friend.
Social recruiting is at all time high. Nearly every company has a social media presence and most use that social media to find their next hire – which is hopefully you. Take advantage of social media and use it to help you find a job.
Here’s how to find a job using social media:
- Make a plan – Ensure that you maximize your time on social media for your job search. It’s easy to get distracted by catchy headlines, nature videos, or wildlife photography. Make a plan to use your time wisely so that you stay focused.
- Sign up for multiple social media channels – As a job seeker, you need to be an active member on several social media channels. The major players include Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, Instagram, and blogging. Which ones you pick may depend on the type of job you are applying for too.
- Fine tune your social media profiles – Social media is all about sharing and creating content. Be careful about what you post on your profiles though as it can come back to haunt you. Recruiters and hiring managers actively screen social media profiles for inappropriate behavior. If they don’t like what they see, you won’t get the job. Craft a relevant and professional profile that highlights your strengths and weaknesses, accomplishments, and skills. Think about it like an online resume.
- Follow, Like, Share, Interact – Use social media to build an online network of contacts. Actively like and follow the pages of the companies that you want to ultimately work for.
- Be active – Social media requires you to have an active online presence. Don’t just set up your profiles and forget about them. Post regularly. Join groups. Answer questions. Interact with other people.
- Build your personal brand – Use social media to market yourself. Build your personal brand so that recruiters know what you represent and where you excel.
- Research Employers – Social media is an excellent way to research employers that you want to work for. You can learn about their staff, get a glimpse into their company culture, and see what they value. You may find that your dream company is perfect or you may start looking in a new direction.
- Search For Jobs – Most job seekers head to job boards to search and apply for jobs. This totally works, but another tactic is to pay attention to social media feeds, pages, posts, and groups. Companies ultimately want to hire people who follow their company’s social media channels. They often post their job listings on social before they hit the job board, which can put you one step ahead of the competition.
Social media is an important part of today’s modern job search. If you’re not on social media it will hurt your chances of getting hired. Get online and be an active presence on social media today.
If you love social media, why don’t you find a job in the social media industry. They’re hiring!