Lunch is one of the most important times of the work day. Whether you’re searching for a job or you’re gainfully employed, it’s essential you stop and enjoy a quality lunch break in the middle of the day.
Take a minute and think about what you do during your lunch break. Some people stare at their computers. Others head outside and enjoy a sandwich in the great outdoors. Many head to a cafeteria or restaurant to eat amongst friends. Everyone enjoys lunch differently. Wouldn’t it be great if you could make your lunch break more productive?
Here’s how to make your lunch break more productive:
- Get Up And Move – It’s easy to be stagnant all day when you’re focused and working. Stand up and move around during lunch. Go to the gym or get some exercise. You’ll feel better when you do and you’ll be able to get more done.
- Enjoy A Change Of Scenery – Leave your desk and go someplace new and stimulating. Take a short walk and see the world. It will help to open your eyes and give you a better perspective on life.
- Take A Deep Breath – Stop what you’re doing and take a deep breath. It will help you relax and escape the hustle and bustle of work or job searching.
- Go Screen Free – Give your eyes a break. Leave the desk. Ditch the phone. Try to not use any screens during lunch.
- Eat Food – Now that seems obvious, but try to pick the right foods to eat during your lunch break. Eating a refreshing salad is going to make your mind and body function differently than eating snacks from the vending machine.
- Run Errands – During a hectic day, it’s easy to overlook the small stuff. During your lunch, run any errands that you need to tick off your list. Not only will you be able to do something different, but you will also see and experience new things. This is great for the brain.
- Build Your Network – Go and eat with friends or new acquaintances. Lunch is prime time to network. As we know, the more people you know, the better.
- Do Something You Enjoy – Take a few minutes to do something that brings a smile to your face. Try to read a book, study a foreign language, or call an old friend. It’s good for your brain.
- Take A Full Hour – Lunch is usually a full hour, so take advantage of that time. Don’t cut it short or work through your lunch hour. Use your time wisely.
- Take A Nap – Napping is good for you. It’s ok to take a quick snooze to help you feel more refreshed.
- Make A Plan – As the lunch break winds down, grab a pen and paper and create an afternoon to-do list. Then it’s time to get back to the grind.
This may seem like a lot to cram into an hour long lunch break, but give it a try. You’ll soon develop a system that helps you to maximize your time. Even a short break can help you refresh, refocus, and relax. This gives you a renewed energy to charge ahead with whatever you were doing in the first place.
Take advantage of the lunch break in the right ways and you’ll find that your productivity will skyrocket when you are truly trying to focus on getting things done.