What type of job are you looking for? What makes you the best candidate? Why should the company hire you? These are things you need to consider when searching for a cool job.
Try to put yourself in the recruiter’s shoes. What are they going to look for in the perfect candidate? Here are 8 reasons why employers want to hire you:
- An Impressive Resume – Your resume is kind of like your highlight reel. It’s takes all of your professional experience and packages it into one document. Education, experience, skills – it’s all there. The resume is your first impression. Take the time to create a customized resume for every job application. Here are 13 simple ways to get your resume noticed by recruiters.
- Positive Attitude – Your attitude will go a long way in the job search. If you’re an enthusiastic, positive, go-getter you have a much better chance of getting hired. Positivity is contagious and it’s a leadership quality. No one likes to be surrounded by negative vibes. Smile more. Be confident. Exude excellence. A positive attitude is bound to make you stand out.
- A Clean Online Presence – In today’s tech-savvy world, your recruiter is going to Google you. Google yourself first. What comes up? Hopefully your professional blog, LinkedIn profile, a few publications, and positive news articles. You absolutely do not want photos of you binge drinking in college, a mug shot, or an article quoting your inappropriate comments. Social media can kill your chances of getting hired. It’s the fastest way to shoot yourself in the foot. Be aware of what gets posted about you. If you need to, clean up your social media and online profiles. Make yourself look good.
- Experience, Skills, Education – Without this stuff, #1 is probably pretty weak too. It’s up to you to gain experience, even when you have no relevant experience. Make your experience and skills relate to the job you are applying for. If you need a specific skill set or certification, go out and earn it before you apply. You have to be able to do the job.
- A Strong Personal Brand – What are you all about? Treat yourself like a company. Market yourself to the right audience. Develop a following. Create a blog that shows you are an expert in your field. Build a strong social, online, and industry profile based on YOU. Learn more about why you must have a personal brand on JobMonkey. Will your followers drum up business for your new employer?
- Long Term Potential – It costs a bundle of money for companies to go through the hiring process. Every company wants to hire someone who is a good worker that will be around for the long term. If you have a proven track record of solid performance and you are a loyal person, this will do wonders for your job search. If you’re a bit more of a job hopper, you need to read this.
- You’re A Producer – The world of business is all about making money. When it comes down to hiring, the number one question on every recruiter’s mind is, “will this candidate make us money?” Well, will you? Are you a driven individual who will complete every task better than its ever been done before? You need to be able to produce and make money for the company. That’s why they want to hire you.
- The Right Network – People get hired and fired from jobs all the time. If you have your ear to the ground, you can often tap into the hidden job market. When you know the right people, you’ll be one step ahead of the competition when it comes to landing the job. A positive reference from a trusted company insider goes a long way in the application process. Grow and expand your network and you’ll be amazed at how it positively affects your job search.
Now that you know what employers are looking for, you also know what you need to prepare. Go out there and get these things together. Then stop back by JobMonkeyJobs.com to apply for your dream job.
This post was inspired by a post from Undercover Recruiter called 7 Reasons Employers Will Hire You. Undercover Recruiter is an excellent resource for job seekers, be sure to check out their site.