It’s easy to do what we are comfortable with, but it’s not always what we need to do. It can be hard to get out of your routine and try new things, but it’s absolutely necessary if you are a job seeker.
Consider your comfort zone as a a danger zone when it comes to your job search. You have to take a leap of faith and push your limits. It sounds scary because it is. But once you try it, things aren’t as scary as they once seemed.
Finding a new job or switching careers is all about change. You’ll have a new job, a new office, a new boss, a new paycheck, a new commute, a new set of co-workers, a new culture, a new environment, and so many other new things. That change needs to start with the job search. It’s time to step out of your comfort zone.
Here are a few ideas to help you step out of your comfort zone:
- Network Differently – You have to know the right people to get ahead in life. Explore different places to network. Try out new conversation starters. Link up with your connections on LinkedIn. You won’t meet anyone new if you don’t try to network differently.
- Learn New Skills – Sometimes to get a job, you have to build your skill set or earn a degree. This may mean going back to school, taking a course, or learning something online. This requires a different approach to life for a while to achieve your ultimate goals.
- Try New Things – Experiences are character building. Do things you’ve never done before. It will open your eyes to how the world works and will expand your outlook on life. It can make you a more well rounded person. Plus it will help you determine what you like and don’t like, which will ultimate help you be successful.
- Explore Different Careers and Industries – Just because you learned how to be mechanic, doesn’t mean that you’re destined to be a mechanic for ever. You have to explore your options. Step outside of the stereotypical career path and choose one that fits your life and personality. You’ll be happier that you did. Learn about different industries and careers on JobMonkey.
- Adjust Your Job Search Tactics – The job search is constantly changing. What worked five years ago, or even last year, might not work this time around. Utilize different tactics. Read a book.Take advantage of technology. Use a smartphone for your job search. If you’re getting frustrated, adjust your job search tactics – maybe you’ve been doing something totally wrong. A simple change in the job search can have impressive results, but you have to step out of your comfort zone sometimes to figure out what works and what doesn’t.
Life is easy in our comfort zones. We know what to expect, but the real world is different. It’s important to step out of your comfort zone as a job seeker to help you determine the best job for you, meet the right people, and determine the best tactics for your job search. A little bit of “uncomfortable” now can mean a whole of smiles later on. Try something new and you might even land your dream job!
Don’t resist change. Embrace it. Make a conscious effort to change your habits and try new things. If it doesn’t work, you’ll learn from the experience. If it does work, you’ll be one step closer to finding a job.