What words would you use to describe your job search? Many people answer with words like frustrating, annoying, discouraging, or irritating. If this is how you feel, don’t worry. You’re not alone. The job search can be challenging and there are certain annoying things about the job search that we can all relate to.
How To Beat The Never Ending Job Search
Life would be great if everything always went our way. Unfortunately that’s not exactly how it works – especially in the job search. When you’re unemployed things can be tough. If things don’t go as planned, it’s easy to feel like you want to scream and pull your hair out. But you can’t do that. Even after you vent your frustrations, you have to flip the switch and stay upbeat and positive if you want to find a job.
What is it that makes the job search so frustrating? Well it’s a series of things that when combined can be super annoying. No matter how awful the job search seems, it’s up to you stay focused and stay fresh so that you can become gainfully employed as soon as possible.
Here’s a collection of annoying things about the job search that we can all relate to:
- People Who Don’t Respond To Your Emails/Phone Calls – When recruiters, hiring managers, or anyone else doesn’t respond to your emails or phone calls, it’s frustrating. Feel free to follow up again to see if you get a response.
- Job Descriptions That Are Unclear Or Too Specific – The job description is supposed to sell you on the job, not make you scratch you head and wonder what’s going on. On the flip side, when a job description is too specific it’s an instant turn off. This can often be an indication that you should find a different job listing.
- Not Getting The Job – When you think you have a good chance of getting hired, it’s super disappointing to find out that you didn’t get the job. Don’t worry. It happens to everyone.
- Lengthy Job Applications – Job applications that take forever are the worst. Take a deep breath and fill it out anyways if it’s a job that you want.
- Questions About The Job Search – When people ask you how the job search is going it can feel like they are judging you. Even when they are just being helpful, job seekers find this annoying. Stay positive and assume that people are just make conversation.
- Getting Stumped During The Interview – Job interviews are designed to get to know candidates, but also to see how they think and react under pressure. Even when you are totally stumped on an interview question, stay calm and give a good answer.
- Jobs That Require Experience – Needing experience to gain experience is an unbeatable situation. Sometimes it’s best to apply and hope for the best.
- Customizing Your Resume & Cover Letter For Every Application – A customized resume/cover letter combo will help you stand out in the job search. You need to do it, but it is certainly tedious work.
- Searching For Job Postings – There are lots of job listings out there, but it’s nearly impossible to find one that’s worth applying for. (Hint: we recommend the JobMonkey JobCenter).
Are there other annoying things about the job search? Of course there are. Stop by social media and give us a heads up on what you find frustrating. We’d love to hear about it. Hopefully we can find a solution or provide you with an outlet to vent.
Is It Time To Take A Survival Job?
We totally understand that the job search can be tough. Stick with it and adjust your expectations if necessary. With the right attitude and realistic goals, you will find a job soon.
See Also: The Biggest Interview Mistakes That A Job Seeker Can Make