When it’s time for the job interview, you better bring your A-game. You need to be the best you that you can be. If you want to get the job you need to be flawless. Yet in the high pressure job interview, it’s easy to make mistakes. Just do your best to avoid making any of the biggest interview mistakes. These are a big no-no for all job seekers.
Below we highlight some of the biggest interview mistakes that job seekers make. Have you made any of these mistakes?
- Unable To Sell Yourself – Be ready to tell the interviewer why you are an asset that they need to hire. Have your elevator speech dialed.
- Not Having Any Questions – Questions show you’re prepared for the job interview. An interview goes both ways and this is you opportunity to pick their brains.
- Forgetting To Research The Job/Company – Research is important. Company reviews, salary info, news, and other information play an important role in your final decision. Research the company before you show up.
- Not Paying Attention To Body Language – Your body says more things than you might realize. Ensure that your body language portrays you in a positive light.
- Inappropriate Behavior – This is a broad category. It might include anything from farting to cursing to stealing something off the interviewers desk. FYI – these are all things that have happened in job interviews before!
- Not Following Directions – If you were requested to bring or do something specific at the job interview, you need to do it.
- Making Critical Comments – Never bad mouth your former employer or criticize your old boss. This doesn’t make you look good.
- Lying – Honesty is always the best policy. Never lie because it will come back to haunt you.
- Not Wanting The Job – If you don’t want the job, why are you there? Show your enthusiasm for the job and the company. Be eager to get hired.
- Not Being Punctual – Being late is bad, but so is being super early. Try to arrive right on time.
- Forgetting Interviewer’s Name – Use simple hacks to remember the interviewer’s name.
- Appearing Desperate – Never appear desperate for a job – even if you are. Try to play it cool and show that you are a quality job candidate.
- Trying To Be Someone Your Not – Always be yourself. Pretending you’re something that you’re not is as bad as lying.
- Poor Wardrobe Or Grooming Choices – What you wear and how you look will directly impact people’s first impression of you. Be the professional that the company wants to hire.
- Answering Your Phone – Don’t pick up your phone during the interview, instead keep it on silent or turn it off.
- Over Practiced – It’s necessary to practice before a job interview, but don’t sound like a broken record that’s just spouting off memorized answers to standard questions. Be genuine and authentic.
- Being Unrealistic – Realize where you stand and what you are truly capable of. Shoot for the stars, but be realistic when it comes to responsibilities, salaries, perks, and other job related issues.
- Sharing Too Much Info – It’s good to be open and honest, but know where to draw the line. Oversharing is not a good thing.
- Not Saying Thank You – Show the interviewer that you appreciate their time with a simple thank you. Those two words, “thank you,” go a long ways toward making you look great.
What other things would you add to our list of the biggest interview mistakes? To nail the job interview you must be prepared. Pay attention to every single detail. Brush up on the types of interviews. Get ready for crazy interview questions. Perform at your best.
Remember that just making it to the job interview round is a huge accomplishment. It means that you’re in the running for the job. Avoid some of the biggest interview mistakes and you’ll be one step closer to being employed.