You’ve got a lot riding on your job interview. It’s ok to be a bit nervous, but don’t let job interview anxiety be your downfall. In order to calm your nerves before a job interview, there are a few simple things you can do that will set you up for success.
Everyone who has a job has been through a job interview, so we understand how you feel. It’s understandable to feel anxious about the process. You’ve invested time and energy into the job application process and the interview is your chance to go from unemployed to hired and happy. It’s kind of a big deal.
Before you get a job offer handed to you, you’re going to need to nail the job interview. That consists of selling yourself, answering job interview questions, and being evaluated. It’s a stressful situation, but you can beat job interview anxiety if you implement the right strategies.
Below we highlight nine ways to beat job interview anxiety. Apply these tactics and you’ll increase your chances of nailing the interview:
- Take Care Of Your Body – Get enough sleep. Eat a good meal. Cut down on the caffeine. Exercise. A healthy body and mind will help you be the best that you can be.
- Prepare – An interview is a two way conversation. You know you’re going to get asked lots of questions, so do your research and prepare your answers. But don’t forget to prepare questions that you get to ask the interviewer.
- Pack Your Bags – Make sure you have everything you need: business cards, resumes, certification cards, notepad and pen, references, portfolios, water, etc.
- Create A Schedule – Before your interview day, figure out where your interview will take place. Find directions and do a test run to see how long it takes to reach your destination. The last thing you want is the added stress of running late.
- Take A Deep Breathe – Remember that you made it to the interview round because you’re an impressive job candidate. Be confident and be yourself.
- Collect Your Thoughts – Don’t rush your answers during the interview. Instead pause and give thoughtful responses.
- Dial In Your Wardrobe – Know what you’re going to wear. Lay it out ahead of time so that on interview day you just slip into your clothes you’ve laid out and you’re immediately dressed to impress.
- Stay Positive – A positive attitude will go along ways toward helping you stay calm. Smiling helps too!
- Practice Makes Perfect – It may sound silly, but find a safe place at home and visualize your entire interview. Visualization can prepare you mentally for what’s to come.
Job interview anxiety is no fun. It happens to more people than you might realize. By taking the necessary steps, you’ll be able to calm your nerves and impress any interviewer. Now it’s time to eliminate the job interview jitters and go nail that job interview!