During the job search, you need to do everything in your power to ensure that the job interviewer likes you. The job interviewer has the final say in your job search success. They are the ones who give you a big thumbs up or a big thumbs down. Without their approval, you’ll never land a job.
It’s amazing how job search blunders can hurt your chances of getting hired. It doesn’t take much to blow it. With that being said, if you slip up once, don’t sweat it too much. But if you continually do any of these things you have the potential of damaging your job seeker reputation – and that will severely impact your chances of becoming gainfully employed.
Below you’ll find a selection of things that will make a job interviewer hate you. Avoid these behaviors and actions at all costs:
- Being Unprepared – Job interview preparation is essential if you want to be seen as a knowledgeable and keen job seeker. Do your research and study up on job interview questions.
- Showing Up Late – Timeliness is essential in the job search. When you schedule a job interview, it needs to be your top priority. Make every effort to be on time and whatever happens don’t miss the interview.
- Following Up Way To Often – It’s important to follow up with job interviewers after the interview. Follow ups show that you’re a serious candidate who really wants the job, but there is also a fine line of too much communication. If you communicate too much, it may become overwhelming for the interviewer. Remember that hiring people takes time. Give the job interview the time and the space that they need to make the right decision.
- Bad Mouthing Anyone Or Anything – Be positive. Never bad mouth a former boss or employer. Put a positive spin on every topic during the job interview. Being negative only makes you look bad.
- Lying – No one likes a liar. Many job seekers lie to give themselves an advantage against the job search competition. Don’t do it. You will get caught and it can damage your reputation. Honesty is the best policy.
- Inappropriate Attire – During the hiring process, you need to dress the part. The wrong attire can come off as inappropriate and unprofessional. Choose what you wear to a job interview careful as it will influence a job interviewer’s opinion of you.
- Poor Body Language – Your body says a lot of things that you’d never express vocally. Be mindful of what your body is doing during the job interview because job interviewers will take notice and it can give them a poor impression of you.
- Being Creepy – This should go without saying, but don’t be creepy. Avoid taboo topics. Keep the conversation on point. Don’t delve into personal affairs. Don’t share any secrets you found on social media. Keep it pro at all times.
- Turning Down The Job Offer – The job interview is a two way conversation. If you decide that a job opportunity isn’t right for you for whatever reason, it’s your right to turn down the job offer. Unfortunately, when you do this it can cause a job interviewer to be a bit upset since they just invested time and money into the hiring process. If they find it annoying, don’t take it the wrong way, you’d feel the same.
Are you guilty of any of these things? Likely so. This may be the reason that you didn’t land your dream job. The key takeaway from this post is that simple job interview mistakes can make a job interviewer hate you. On the up note, if you’re aware of the things that annoy a job interviewer, they are easy to avoid.
Are You The Best Job Candidate Ever?
We highly encourage you to do your research about anything and everything job search related on the JobMonkey blog. The info you find there might just give you the edge you need to beat out the job search competition. Plus, it will ensure that the don’t do anything else that will make the job interviewer hate you. Best of luck!