How To Plan Your Gap Year
Take the time to properly plan your gap year so that you can focus on the experience and make the most of your time.
Right now is the time to plan your gap year. Don’t wait until the last moment. Instead, spend the appropriate amount of time to plan the best gap year ever. You’ll be glad that you did.
If you want to have a successful gap year, you need to make a plan and stick with it. Whatever happens don’t let romantic flings, easy work opportunities, or the comforts of home hold you back from doing something super cool in some amazing place. Make a plan and see where it takes you.
Plan out the details so that this once in a lifetime opportunity is properly structured so that you use your time productively and don’t waste a single minute of it. Planning will ensure that your gap year will be the ultimate adventure.
When you’re starting the planning process, here are some key points to consider:
- Set Goals – What do you want to achieve on your gap year? Are you keen to find an internship, get a job, study abroad, travel the globe, go on an adventure, or volunteer? Be sure to structure your time with productive things that will make you a better person.
- Create Your Timeframe – Decide how long your gap year will be. It can be any timeframe that you see fit – a summer, six months, or a year. It’s your choice.
- Determine Your Destination – Where do you want to spend your gap year? Will you travel to and stay in one far flung destination? Or do you want to hop around the globe to see as many places as possible? Make a list of where you want to go.
- Be Realistic – It’s important to create achievable goals that you will actually obtain. Be realistic in what you can do during your gap year so that you’re set up for success.
- Define Your Budget – Gap years are expensive. It’s costly to travel and do cool things. Create a budget and see how far your money will take you. You may need to work and save money for six months so that you can travel afterwards. Do the math so that you can maximize your time.
- DIY Or Gap Year Program? – If you’re organized and ambitious, it’s best to plan your own gap year. This way you get to manage every detail so that your gap year is perfect. Alternatively you can research different gap year programs that coordinate the details of your gap year so that you can focus on the experience with the planning headaches.
- Handle Logistics – Well planned logistics are a crucial component of planning a memorable gap year. Book your transportation via plane, train, automobile, scooter, or by foot. Arrange accommodations. Plan out cool activities. And make sure there’s time to do everything that you want to do in the time that you have.
- Check The Details – What else do you need to do to make your gap year a reality? Do you need a working holiday visa? Does your passport need to be renewed? Are you due for any vaccinations? Do you need to get any travel visas? Do you have a plan to communicate with your friends and family? Will your credit card work in a foreign country? These are small details that can be major problems if they aren’t addressed soon enough.
- Pack – Finally it’s time to pack. Your destination will determine what you need to bring. Go light and be sure to pack the basics. Hopefully it all fits into a backpack!
- Have Fun – It’s time to hit the road, catch your flight, or sail away into the wild blue yonder. Finally the hard work and energy you put into planning will pay off. Go and have the time of your life on your gap year. Have fun and be safe.
There’s no doubt that planning a gap year can be overwhelming. If you’re thinking about a gap year, start the planning process as early as possible. The longer you have to plan, the better. Every minute that you spend planning will be well worth the effort.