Need a job? The US government is the largest employer in the United States. A workforce of nearly 2.7 million civilians work for the US government. These lucky folks work all sorts of cool jobs for numerous different federal government agencies and departments. Is a job with the US government right for you? Probably.
The US government is a huge employer. For comparison, check out the top 10 largest employers in the US. As you can see Wal-Mart tops the charts with 1.3 million employees in the US and 2.2 million employees worldwide. Add in the jobs with the US military and the number of people collecting a paycheck from the US government skyrockets.
The US federal government employs lots of people to do lots of different things both domestically and abroad. Let’s take a look at a handful of cool government job opportunities:
- Park ranger with the National Park Service
- Wildlife biologist with the Fish & Wildlife Service
- Undercover agent with the FBI
- Astronaut with NASA
- Test Pilot with the Federal Aviation Administration
- Meteorologist with NOAA
- Museum Curator with the Smithsonian Institution
- Archaeologist with the Forest Service
The government employs people in some of the coolest jobs ever – and they pay top dollar. Explore some of the top paying government jobs on JobMonkey.
To find the government agencies that employ the most people, we took a look at data provided by the US Office Of Personnel Management in Washington DC. The follow numbers are from September 2013 and were originally highlighted in this post from Federal-Budget.InsideGov.com.
If you’re looking for a government job, try these federal government agencies with the most cool jobs:
- US Postal Service – 584,027
- Department of Veteran Affairs – 323,208
- Department of The Army – 264,906
- Department of The Navy – 194,923
- Department of Homeland Security – 192,073
- Department of the Air Force – 169,440
- Department of Justice – 115,616
- Department of the Treasury – 112,461
- Department of Agriculture – 95,223
- Other Defense Activities – 75,223
- Department of Health and Human Services – 72,703
- Department of the Interior – 71,543
- Social Security Administration – 62,549
- Department of Transportation – 55,288
- Department of Commerce – 45,035
- Department of State – 41,768
- US Courts – 33,271
- Defense Logistics Agency – 24,331
- Corps of Engineers – 23,230
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration – 18,001
- Department of Labor – 17,187
- Environmental Protection Agency – 17,002
- Congress – 16,432
- Department of Energy – 15,213
- Tennessee Valley Authority – 12,612
What government agency is the best one to work for? That depends on you. Learn What US Government Agencies Actually Do before you apply. Do your research and you’re bound to find the perfect job for you in the US government.
Best of luck!