Robert F. Kennedy once said, “The purpose of life is to contribute in some way to making things better.” How do you contribute to the world? How do you make a difference? If you want to make the world a better place, why not find a job that let’s you do just that?
Finding a meaningful career isn’t as hard as you might think. The first step is to prioritize your personal goals and determine how you want to make a difference. Do you want to save an endangered species? Promote safe drinking water? Save lives? Make people feel safe? Teach future generations? There are cool jobs that do all of these things and so much more.
We could easily list hundreds of jobs that make a difference, but it’s probably best to start your job search by focusing on specific industries where your hard work can make someone’s life better.
Search for jobs that make a difference in these niches:
- Healthcare Jobs – Healthcare professionals are in demand. This niche is the perfect place for anyone who wants to help others on a day-to-day basis. As a doctor, nurse, or EMT you are hands-on with people who need your help. You have the potential to change the life of every patient you work with. It’s one of the most rewarding niches ever.
- Non Profit Jobs – Non profit organizations are designed to help make the world a better place. It’s a huge niche in the United States. Non profit jobs can focus on healthcare, social work, community outreach, human services, environmental issues, education, arts, and so much more. Find a job in a non profit and you can get paid to make a difference
- Education Jobs – There’s no doubt about it – being a teacher is hard work. Helping to mold the future generations of the world is one of the most important things you can ever do. In the world of education, you can truly make a difference in every student’s life. The children are our future and as a teacher you help guide them on the path to greatness.
- Volunteer Opportunities – Volunteering is one of the best ways you can give back to the world. Plus, it’s a cool way to build a resume, see the world, and make connections. All that and you’re helping to make the world a better place. It’s kind of perfect. Volunteering can come in all forms – disaster relief, healthcare, community development, environmental issues, and so much more. Everyone should volunteer more. It’s a nice way to give back.
- Public Safety Jobs – Everyone wants to feel safe. If you can help to eliminate threats, disasters, violence, and terrorism, you’ll play a major role in improving people’s lives. Public safety includes a lot of different niches such as law enforcement, firefighting, and even jobs in the federal government. Pursuing a public safety job is an honorable way to make a living. As they say, safety first.
- Green Jobs – We only have one planet. If we don’t take care of it, it will be destroyed. Environmental jobs may include protecting wild animals, tracking climate change, installing solar panels, or supporting sustainable agriculture. The green jobs niche is thriving and if you love our planet, it’s a great niche to pursue.
- Faith Based Jobs – Religion is a powerful tool that helps people in all sorts of way. If religion is a big part of your life, pursue a faith based job where you can give back to your community, your country, and the world. Helping people feels good and faith based jobs revolve around helping others.
When you apply for jobs that make a difference in the world, you’ll look forward to going to work. You’ll know that the hard work you put in each and every day has a direct and positive impact on our planet and the people who live here.