How do you know what you’re supposed to do with your life? What do you do when you don’t know what job is right for you? There’s a certain amount of pressure on everyone to find a job that they like and that pays the bills, but the hardest part of all is finding the right job for you.
It’s a common problem: you need a job, but you don’t know what you want to do. There are so many options in so many places. Instead of getting frustrated, take a deep breath and follow these steps. It will help you figure out the right career path for you.
Here’s what to do when you don’t know what job is right for you:
- Take a career test – Career tests can help to match your personality, skills, and interests with cool jobs
- Reflect on your life – What are you good at doing? What do you enjoy doing? Can you do this for a living?
- Examine your experiences – What have you accomplished in life? How will that help you land a job?
- Start with what you don’t want – Make a list of things you absolutely do NOT want to do.
- Brainstorm a list of potential jobs – Write down every job that you would consider doing.
- Explore your options – Research jobs to see if they will work for you. Be realistic in your short term and long term goals.
- Relocate – Can you find your dream job where you are currently located or do you need to relocate?
- Follow your passions – If you are truly passionate about something, pursue a job in that niche. It will make you enjoy your “work” more.
- Commit to your decision – Take the plunge. Once you’ve found a job that looks appealing, make a plan to land that job and follow through with it.
- Utilize your toolkit – Remember that you can find all sorts of job search and job-related information on JobMonkey.com. Take advantage of it. It’s all free too!
Figuring out what you want to do in life is tough. You won’t always get it right the first time around. That’s ok. Sometimes you need to push your comfort zone and try something new. If you don’t like it, quit your job and switch your career path. It’s a committing move, but it will make you happier and that’s super important.
Use the JobMonkey industry guides to sort through hundreds of different jobs. You can get a sneak peak into what a day in the life of a cool job is really like. It’s one of the best ways to explore your future.