Searching for a job is a time consuming and complicated pursuit. There is so much going on and you need to have all the pieces in order before you can become gainfully employed. Solving the job search puzzle is no easy task, but it can be done.
The job search is like a big maze. At every corner and intersection, you’ll have to make decisions and choose your own adventure. Don’t let the job search overwhelm you. Take advantage of any job search advice that you can get your hands on. It’s amazing how one little trick or strategy that you apply can make a world of difference in solving the job search puzzle.
With the right job search strategies in place, the job search won’t be as bad as people make it out to be. Here are a handful of steps that will help you to solve the job search puzzle:
- Start The Process – You can start anywhere, but you have to sit down and get going. Don’t procrastinate. Do something that’s job search related and see where it takes you.
- Strategize A Plan – There is a lot going on in the job search. Formulate a plan. Create SMART goals and give yourself deadlines. Create a schedule that makes you work full time on finding a job.
- Treat It Like A Job – When you’re in the job hunt, you need to be focused on becoming gainfully employed. Treat your job search like a full time job. Use your goals and schedule to help you stay on top of the job search.
- Do Your Research – Study different jobs and employers. Decide what you want to do, where you want to do it, and what companies you want to work for. Determine if you are qualified for the job and tick the boxes to ensure that you have a chance to land your dream job. Be realistic in what you can and cannot achieve. This will help you fine tune your job search so you’re not lost in a sea of job listings.
- Look For Jobs In All The Right Place – There are millions of places to look for jobs – daily newspapers, job boards, career sites, word of mouth. Decide the best places to find the types of jobs that you’re looking for and apply for the jobs there.
- Build Your Online Presence – In today’s modern job search, employers are going to Google you. Make sure that these recruiters can find you online. Build your personal brand and play an active role on social media.
- More Networking – While we can do a lot of things digitally these days, nothing will ever replace handshakes and face to face conversations when it comes to networking. Get out of the house and network. You never know who you might meet or where you might meet them.
- Write Killer Cover Letters and Irresistible Resumes – Your job search won’t get very far without a resume and cover letter. Take the time to carefully craft these job search documents. You’re going to need them if you want to make the interview round.
- Stay Organized – It’s easy to let dates, directions, and details slip through the cracks. Don’t rely solely on brainpower to stay organized. Write things down so that you don’t forget.
- Don’t Fear Failure – In the job search you will get rejected. You will fail to meet a deadline. You will make mistakes. Don’t let these errors get you down. Instead learn from your mistakes so that you’ll be a stronger job candidate the next go around.
- Stay Positive – Whatever happens stay positive. This is easier said than done. A positive attitude is an essential thing to have during a long term job search.
Make the job search your #1 priority when you’re unemployed. Dedicate your time and energy into finding a job. Take these steps and apply them to your job search. Stop by the JobMonkey Blog to search for all sorts of relevant job search advice that applies to your job search. Take what you learn and you’ll be able to solve the job search puzzle.