Resume Writing Final Checklist
Your resume represents you, so make sure it is flawless. Before giving it to your potential employer, be sure to do the following:
- List your complete name, address, and telephone number at the top of the page.
- Place summary and/or objective directly under your name and address to lead the reader’s eye to it immediately.
- Whenever possible, eliminate information not directly related to this position.
- Include all education, formal and informal, relevant to the desired position.
- Include only relevant work experience.
- Avoid excessive detail in relating your experience. For example, don’t write “opened mail, sorted correspondence” unless directly related to the position you seek.
- Use truthful, quantitative detail.
- Avoid using “I” (e.g., say “Wrote and edited manual” instead of “I wrote and edited the manual”).
- Exclude data that could be used in discrimination (age, social security number, religion, salary expectation, weight, height, marital status, or political affiliation).
- Double-check all spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Never print names and addresses of references directly on the resume.
- List work experience in chronological order from most recent experience backwards.
- Mention awards and community activities that support your targeted job. Present them in ways that reflect your enthusiasm, versatility, and other attributes. Make every experience appear to be a positive one.
- Begin sentences with action verbs, like initiated, organized, developed.
Avoid using abbreviations, overly technical jargon, or slang.
- Check verb tense for consistency.
- Include white space by consolidating information where possible.
- Avoid repeating the same or similar information.
- Choose words carefully to catch the reader’s attention.
- Be sure your resume is clear, attractive to the eye, and easy to read.
- Use a quality printer with a clear, sharp typeface.
- Use a heavy bond 8 1/2″ by 11″ paper.
- Keep resume to one page.
Remember to check out our Samples Page for resume examples.