Are you a member of any professional organizations? If you’re not, you should be. Joining a professional organization is a smart career move. Find out why below.
Professional organizations exist for just about every single employment niche. You can join a professional organization for nursing, marketing, education, forestry, snow sports, climbing, engineering, medicine, photography, history, scuba diving, mining, and the list goes on. There are thousands of associations to choose from. It’s your job to choose the best professional organization for you.
Let’s take a look at 9 reasons to join a professional organization:
- Resume Building – If you’re a member of a professional organization, add it to your resume immediately.
- Networking – Connecting with like-minded professionals is a great way to open up doors and climb the career ladder. You never know who you might meet at the next social event.
- Stay Up To Date – Professional organizations typically set industry standards and push the limits of their field. By staying involved, you’ll learn about the latest and greatest trends in your niche. What you learn at meetings and through organizational publications can be a total game-changer.
- Job Opportunities – Lots of employers actively post job openings with professional organizations before they share them with the world. This early access to job opportunities combined with a vast network of professionals can help you find the job you really want.
- Learn Your Niche – It’s important to broaden your knowledge base. The more you learn about your field of interest the better you will be at your job.
- Motivation – It’s inspiring to see what other professionals in your niche are doing. Tap into their knowledge and projects so that you can expand your ability to do your job.
- Professional Development – Most professional organizations offer courses, lectures, seminars, certifications, licenses, and other educational channels so that you can continue to develop as a professional.
- Mentoring – One of the best ways to learn the industry and the business is with the help of a mentor. Often professional organizations will help to arrange mentorships for aspiring professionals like you.
- Perks & Benefits – Most people think that perks and benefits only come from their employer, but they are wrong. Professional organizations often offer great perks and benefits like insurance, professional pricing, hotel accommodations, or other discounts.
If you want to get ahead and become an expert in your niche, you need to join a professional organization related to your industry. Feel free to join more than one if you have the time and the funds to do so.
Are their any disadvantages of joining a professional organization? The only disadvantages that immediately come to mind are the annual dues and the potential time commitment required to be a part of the group. These are minor issues when compared to the advantages of joining a professional group. In our opinion, the pros definitely outweigh the cons.
As a professional in the working world, it’s important to play an active role in your industry. Join a professional organization and it can help you achieve great things.