Do you know what a gap year is? A gap year is a constructive time period that a person takes off between high school and college. Thousands of students will opt to delay university for an academic year to take a gap year. Will you?
A gap year is your time and you can spend it how you see fit. The one rule is that you need to do something productive. A gap year shouldn’t be spent mastering the latest Super Mario video game or hanging out with your buddies. There is a wide variety of cool things to do in a gap year, so what will you choose to do?
If you choose to take a gap year, do your research first to decide what you’re interested in doing. Perhaps the best thing to do is to combine a bit of work, play, and travel so that you can learn what you like and what you don’t like in life. This will help to streamline your university education and set you up for long-term success.
Let’s take a look at a handful of cool things to do in a gap year:
- Work – Gap years aren’t free. You’ll need to support yourself during your gap year. Why not find a cool job that pays you to have fun? Maybe ESL teacher, fruit picker, freelancer, camp counselor, hostel worker, or something else? Consider obtaining a working holiday visa so that you can work abroad.
- Travel – During your gap year, try new things and explore the world. Traveling will open your eyes to different cultures and places while broadening your perspective on life. Plus, it’s fun. If you love traveling, you might even become a travel blogger or photographer.
- Grow Up – For some people, a gap year is the perfect time to become an adult. Head out on your own and try to fend for yourself for a year. You’ll learn a lot about what it takes to support the lifestyle you want.
- Enroll In A Program – There are countless groups that organize entire gap years for students. Consider these companies to see if they have a gap year program that aligns with your interests, timeframe, and budget.
- Learn – The more you know, the better off you will be. Some people spend their gap year earning college credits, finding internships, or learning a foreign language or other skill.
- Volunteer – The world needs more volunteers. There are volunteer opportunities in your town, your state, your country, and around the world. Volunteer with an organization that you enjoy and it may pave the way to a cool career.
- Start A Business – Are you a natural born entrepreneur? Why not start a business during your gap year? It will either be a fantastic learning experience or it could be your ticket to being your own boss. Try it and find out.
What do all of these things to do in a gap year have in common? They are all productive ways to spend your time. Do any of these things and it all build your resume and make you a more interesting person. If you use your time wisely, your gap year will change your life. Are you ready to discover what you want to do in your gap year?