Real Estate License Requirements
In all fifty states and in the District of Columbia you must have a real estate license before you can accept fees for selling real estate. In other words, you don’t need a license to sell your own house or to help a friend or family member sell his house, but if you want a real estate agent job, you need a license.
Most states require completion of a few pre-licensing courses before you can take the exam, but some states allow you to study on your own. If you have a special background, like a college degree in real estate, you can get the course requirements waved. Check www.mortgagenewsdaily.com for the real estate licensing requirements for salespersons and brokers in your state.
There are two general kinds of real estate licenses: a brokers license and a salesperson’s license.
This is an example of requirements for real estate salespersons.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Completed at least 60 clock hours of approved real estate fundamental education courses, which must be completed five years prior to applying for the exam
- Must pass salesperson real estate license exam
- Once licensed, all salespersons need to complete 30 clock hours in a Real Estate Practices course plus 30 clock hours of continuing education courses, which will include a 3-hour core curriculum
- The original license fee for a salesperson is $146.25, and the renewal fee, good for two years, is also $146.25. The salesperson examination fee is $138.25.
This is an example of requirements for brokers.
- Must be at least 18 years of age and have a high school diploma or GED
- Must have active experience as a real estate salesperson
- Have successfully completed 120 clock hours of instruction of approved real estate courses
- Must pass broker real estate exam
- Once licensed, all brokers need to complete 30 clock hours in approved continuing education courses every two years
- The original license fee for a broker is $210.00 and the renewal fee, good for two years, is also $210.00. The broker examination fee is $138.25.