Naturalist Jobs at Dude Ranches
No we are not talking about nudists - those are naturists, not naturalists! Naturalists teach guests about nature, ecosystems, and the geology and plants and animals that make up the system in which the ranch exists. They also tell good stories.
Sounds like the perfect job given your interests? Look at our green collar careers section too.
What a Naturalist Does
- Other duties as assigned
- Coordination of activities for adults and children
- Hikes and nature walks, birding, wild flower identification, animal tracking, orienteering
- Star gazing with talks about the constellations, stars, etc.
- Local history presentations in the evening
- Games and special projects
- Participates in weekly overnights including camp set up and clean up
- Suggestions for new activities or improvement to our current program
- Some activities will be focused on children so you must have a high level of energy and enjoy working with kids
- Can lift and carry 85 pounds a minimum of 100 feet while working at altitudes of 8,000 feet or more
- Great social communication skills and ability to tell stories in an engaging manner
JobMonkey's cruise jobs section also includes a page about working as a naturalist. Of course, working at a dude ranch in, say, Montana or Colorado, is a lot different than working on a cruise ship in the Caribbean, but we thought we'd provide the information anyway!