9 Simple Steps To Reduce Stress Amongst Employees
Work can be stressful. Take a look around your office. Do any of your employees look stressed? If you want your business to run like a well oiled machine, take the time to reduce stress amongst employees. It will do wonders for both your team and your company.
People get stressed for numerous reasons. Maybe it’s the long hours, high stakes, endless deadlines, overbearing boss, family issues, or something else entirely. The problem with stress is that it wreaks havoc on your health, sleep, relationships, work, and other aspects of your life if it isn’t addressed. Add in the fact that stressed employees never perform their best at work and you have a recipe for disaster!
The following steps will help to reduce stress amongst employees:
- Set SMART Goals – SMART goals stands for Specific, Measurable, Achievable & Agreed Upon, Realistic & Relevant, and Timeframe. When you set SMART goals it will help your team know what they are trying to accomplish.
- Promote Work Life Balance – Work often gets in the way of life and vice versa. Give your team the flexibility to use their time wisely.
- Lead By Example – The people who you promote into management roles will influence their team. Promote leaders and role models who excel at their job, but also understand the people who work for them.
- Create An Inviting Environment – A nice workplace is a stress free workplace. Strive to keep your office clean and clutter free. Windows are a bonus too!
- Improve Perks & Benefits – Include perks and benefits that can help to de-stress your team. This might include on-site gyms, special services, flexible schedules, free lunches, etc. Anything that makes life easier can also reduce stress.
- Communicate Clearly – Open and honest communication is essential for every office. Let your team know what’s going on.
- Encourage Team Work – Promote team building exercises that allow your workers to build on each others strengths and weaknesses. As the saying go, “the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.”
- Give Everyone A Break – Let your team take breaks throughout the day. Encourage vacation time. Allow your team to relax, refresh, and refocus.
- Follow The Golden Rule – Everyone knows the Golden Rule: treat others as you would like to be treated. It’s simple, but can often be forgotten. Try to put yourself in your team’s shoes to gain their perspective. You might see a few stressful things that need to be addressed.
Don’t let stress take advantage of your business. Apply these rules to your workplace and you will create a loyal workforce that is happy and stress free. And as we all know, a happy team is a happy business.
Aim to reduce stress amongst employees and you’ll be impressed with how it will have a powerful and positive impact on the way your company operates.