Top 10 Ways To Screen Job Candidates
As an HR pro, one of your many jobs is to screen job candidates. The process of screening job candidates helps you to identify the top talent and ultimately helps you to make better hiring decisions. In this post we are going to shine the spotlight on a variety of ways to screen job candidates.
The hiring process can easily become overwhelming unless you implement processes and procedures that help you select or eliminate job candidates from the running. It’s important to embrace all of the different methods of screening job candidates because you’ll learn something new at each phase of the screening process.
Now let’s take a look at different ways to screen job candidates:
- Job Postings – When you write a detailed job description that supplies all of the pertinent information, it will attract the right type of job seeker and discourage the wrong type of job seeker.
- Application Process – Keep the application process simple. If a job seeker can’t follow simple directions, it’s a big red flag.
- Applicant Tracking Software – ATS systems eliminate job candidates that haven’t put the right keywords in their resumes and cover letters. Take advantage of this technology, but realize that sometimes quality candidates slip through the cracks.
- Resume & Cover Letters – Resumes and cover letters act as a job candidate’s professional highlight reel. They should impress you. If they don’t, proceed with caution.
- Job Interviews – During the 1st face-to-face meeting with a job candidate, try to get to know these individuals and find out if they will be a good fit with your team.
- Reference Checks – Always call references. It’s important to hear what other respected professionals think about a job candidate.
- Social Media Checks – It’s amazing what you can learn from social media. A new hire will represent your company and if their social profiles aren’t appropriate, it’s a valid concern to consider in your hiring decisions.
- Pre Employment Tests – Unfortunately, job candidates often lie to give themselves the edge. Give them a test to see if they know how to do the things they claim to do before you offer them a job.
- Background Checks – You’ll be amazed at what you can learn about someone in a background check. Use this information to make decisions that keep your company and your team safe.
- Drug Tests – Drugs have no place in the workplace. Many employers require drug tests for a variety of reasons.
It’s your job to make a decision about every job candidate at each screening stage. Are they hireable? Or is it time to eliminate them? You have to make the call and you can’t hire everyone. Hopefully this list of ways to screen job candidates will help to improve your hiring process and ensure that you hire better candidates.